Advanced Subsidiary GCE in Mathematics
Aims and objectives
- Understand mathematics and mathematical processes in a way that promotes confidence, fosters enjoyment and provides a strong foundation for progress to further study.
- Use their mathematical skills and techniques to solve challenging problems that require them to decide on the solution strategy.
- make deductions and inferences and draw conclusions by using mathematical reasoning.
- read and comprehend mathematical arguments, including justifications of methods and formulae, and communicate their understanding.
- take increasing responsibility for their own learning and the evaluation of their own mathematical development.
- Qualification: Advanced Subsidiary GCE in Mathematics
- Exam Board: Edexcel
Course Teacher Profile
Mrs L. Bradley-Smith
Mrs. Bradley-Smith is the AVP for Maths in the Amethyst Sixth Form
To enrol for the A Level Maths course you must have the following…
- Maths Grade 7
- English Grade 5
- Must have GCSE
Careers and Next Steps
Whatever your career ideas, earning potential is always worth considering. Did you know that passing a STEM subject at A Level (science, technology, engineering or Maths) can give you a salary advantage of 15% over those who don’t? So, your A level job prospects are boosted already, whether or not you decide to do a degree.
If you do take it further and study a STEM subject at university, you could earn up to £250,000 more than the average graduate, over the course of your career.
Careers choices for pupils who have study Maths at A Level:
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science